Alert icon urgent
Important information for Albertans

AGLC is taking the COVID-19 coronavirus matter seriously. Please visit for the latest updates.


The province continues to respond to flooding in Fort McMurray and Mackenzie County. Learn more

Alert icon general
Liquor and Cannabis Retail Stores Continue to Operate

AGLC supports cannabis and liquor licensees and their employees as they continue their business operations. Learn more

Moving to Alberta

Personal liquor products can be brought with you when you move to Alberta. You may need to report the liquor you are bringing.

Where are you moving from?

If you are moving to Alberta from within Canada, there is no reporting requirement.

If you are moving to Alberta from outside of Canada and the shipment of your household goods contains no more than nine (9) litres of liquor, report directly to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

If you are moving to Alberta from outside of Canada and the shipment of your household goods contains more than nine (9) litres of liquor:

  • there is no limit to the quantity of liquor you can bring with you as long as the liquor is in your possession at the time of your move.
  • the liquor will be subject to customs duty, excise duty, good and services tax (GST), and provincial markup.

AGLC will calculate the required charges on the product you bring to Alberta. Please make sure you provide the following details for each product:

  1. Product description
  2. Number of bottles
  3. Size of the bottles - in millilitres (ml)
  4. Alc./vol. - as expressed on the bottle label
  5. Country of origin - as expressed on the bottle label
  6. Price paid or declared value
  7. Currency - if you are making the declaration in currency other than Canadian dollars, provide the bill of lading showing the date of direct shipment to Canada (from your moving company or freight forwarder). This is the date used by the CBSA for the exchange rate. If the shipment has not been picked up yet, or you do not have a shipping date, the amount payable will be approximate due to exchange rate fluctuations.

Completed forms can be sent to A member of the Customs and Excise team will contact you with an invoice with the amount payable to AGLC. Payments are accepted by certified cheque, bank draft or money order in Canadian dollars only.

Upon receipt of payment, we will email you a copy of the stamped paid invoice to take with you to the CBSA office for the release of your shipment.