Alert icon urgent
Important information for Albertans

AGLC is taking the COVID-19 coronavirus matter seriously. Please visit for the latest updates.


The province continues to respond to flooding in Fort McMurray and Mackenzie County. Learn more

Applying for a liquor licence

Businesses, organisations and individuals who want to sell or supply alcohol in Alberta must have a liquor licence.

This page provides information on the different types of alcohol licences available in Alberta and how to apply for them.

Types of licences

  • Class A consists of two types of licences:

    • Minors allowed for the sale and consumption of liquor where food is the primary source of business.

    • Minors prohibited where liquor is the primary source of business.

  • Class B - for the sale and consumption of liquor in locations where people pay an entrance or user fee or buy a ticket, such as a recreational facility, tourist facility, race track, sports stadium, convention centre, theatre, or certain types of transportation.

  • Class C - for the sale and consumption of liquor within a facility that is not open to the public but is primarily for use of members, such as a clubhouse.

  • Class D - for the sale of liquor that will be consumed off-site, such as a retail liquor store or off-sales.

  • Class E - for manufacturers that have a permanent facility, such as distillers, vintners or brewers.

  • Class F - For production of beer, wine,and cider at a ferment-on-premises facility.

  • Public special event licences - for one-time events open to the public, for either community or commercial purposes, such as a beer garden, theatre event, or food and wine fair.

  • Private special event licences - for events open to members and invited guests only, such as weddings or awards banquets. This includes annual licences for organizations having recurring events, such as scheduled meetings.

  • Industrial use - for the storage and use of beer, wine and spirits in food preparation.

  • Competition - for tasting and judging homemade products.

  • Hospitality - for liquor service in a room within a liquor agency or liquor manufacturer to provide free tasting to clients.